Monday, September 19, 2011

Lumberjack Days and the Clearwater County Fair

This year was the 100th anniversary of Lumberjack Days in Orofino, Idaho.  I was lucky enough to be able to go and enjoy the festivities on Saturday with my mom, brother and his family.  First of all, let me tell you that Lumberjack Days is free!  You can look at the animals, the preserving and craft exhibits and watch the horse pull all for free!  There are also rides there - they must be paid for obviously.  However, I didn't go to ride the rides.

Remember the Spokane County Fair I told you about here and the utter lack of animal exhibits.  Well once again a very small county fair had more animals!  Clearwater County has a small population.  I was so pleasantly surprised with some of the heritage breeds that were represented at the fair.  I know the Tamworth is crossed, but it is the first fair I have been to that the breed was even represented.

Nigerian Dwarfs
Tamworth - York Cross
Tamworth - York Cross on the Right



Midget White Turkeys (they were camera shy)
The really cool thing was the Horse Pull though.  These big draft horses pulled more than their weight easily.  The top heavy weight team (the two horses weighed approximately 4,200 lbs) pulled 6,500 pounds to win the competition.  It was really a very neat experience.  I would highly recommend attending a horse pull if you have a chance!
One of the Light Weight Teams
One of the Medium Weight Teams

I am sharing this post at the Homestead Barn Hop.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know but there is something about pigs that I like...especially the little piglets...maybe it's Winnie the Pooh that makes me like pigs LOL. Gorgeous horses as well.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete