Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Has She Lost Her Mind?

That is the question that my husband is asking himself.  I can tell just by looking at him.  Lately I have been trying natural or traditional (meaning from a long, long time ago - before the mass marketing crap that is considered traditional today) beauty products. Jerry:  "What - you're going to put oil on your face - to clean it?"  Me:  "Yes."  Jerry:  Looks at me as if I have lost my marbles.

I found this blog.  An amazing blog - this gal is phenomenal.  Crunchy Betty is the name and you can check it out here.  She talks about getting rid of all the chemical laden products in our lives and replacing them with natural items we can eat if we so choose.  Sounds great to me.  So I tried her oil cleansing face cleaner method.  Love it!  Then I found another post titled No 'Poo For You, Too!!!  Basically the idea is to give up conventional shampoo and conditioner and opt for more natural options - in this case baking soda and apple cider vinegar.  What an interesting idea.  The benefits seemed fabulous.  My hair is weird, in-between hair.  It is not straight by any means, accept one spot behind my right ear, and it is by no means curly - oh no.  Weird - half wavy, half frizzy mess.  That's what I have.  Maybe the chemicals are what is doing it.... maybe just maybe.  I sure hope so anyways. 

I have been on my no shampoo journey for nearly 4 weeks now and could not be happier.  I don't really have anything bad to say about it.  My hair feels different.  It isn't the beautiful, natural wavy hair that I was hoping for (just not in the stars for me) - but it is healthier hair and that is what is important. 

Two positives for me:  I had been losing ridiculous amounts of hair every time I washed my hair with regular shampoo - I mean enough hair that it would clog the bath tub.  This has stopped.  I had psoriasis on my scalp and have struggled for years to find something that would stop the flaking that everyone thought was dandruff.  Gone.  Those two things make it worth while for me along with the fact that I am using less chemicals on my body.

Me:  No 'poo = love.  Jerry:  No 'poo = hippie wife!  Whatever!  There are a lot of old hippies walking around - maybe they have it right after all....

So what is my goal - well, I want to slowly weed out the chemical cosmetics and beauty products that I normally use and replace them with natural alternatives (should they really even be called alternatives - they were here before the chemically laden crap!).  I think the most difficult thing for me to weed out will be hair color (I don't like people to see my not blonde strands of hair).  Luckily, my momma is a beautician and knows some about henna color.  Love you mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment