Friday, February 17, 2012

Making Instead of Buying

One of my goals for 2012 is to buy less and make more when it comes to gifts.  Since this is an "in between time" on the farm I took the opportunity to start making.  I have a friend who is going to have a baby in September, so I am guessing the baby shower will be sometime in the summer when I am so busy that I don't have a minute for an extra breath.  I decided to make a baby quilt.  Nothing like jumping in head first right?  My sewing experience consists of a homec (is that spelled right?) class in the 8th grade and some botched attempts at mending holes in Jerry's jeans.  And let me tell you, watching him trying to get in the jeans that I sewed a leg closed on was really quite entertaining.... for me!

I decided to go with "Americana" colors for the baby quilt since it is too early to know blue or pink.  Plus, I am really into the Americana colors right now and I had fabric that my wonderful mother had given me that fit the theme.  Rather than doing small squares, my mom recommended going with longer strips to cut down on sewing time.  (I am really glad I listened to her because I thought there was a lot of sew time with the strips - can't imagine sewing little squares together.)  I used the side panel of a Cheerios box as a template for my strips.  Here they are cut out and laying on the bar.

The Strips


Here are the strips sewed together in rows.

First Round of Sewing
 Next the rows of strips are sewn together and now the top of the quilt is complete.

Second Round of Sewing

I chose to use fleece as the batting for the quilt.  I cut a piece out of a blanket I had on hand to match the size of the top of the quilt.  Then I placed the piece of fabric I was using for the backing, the fleece and the top piece together.  The top piece and the backing were placed with the "front" side towards the fleece and then I pinned them all together (this was probably the most challenging part in my opinion).  Here is the quilt laid out with the layers in preparation for the final sewing.

Almost Ready for Final Sewing

Then I finally sewed around the edges and left a space about 8 inches un-sewn along one side which is used to reach in and pull the front side of the quilt out.  Then the 8 inch gap is sewn closed using a needle and thread rather than the sewing machine.  This is how the lovely quilt turned out.

Third and Final Round of Sewing

And that is it - well almost.  I still have to tie the quilt.  But really this only took me about 6 hours from start to finish.  It was a wonderful experience and has made me realize that sewing is really not that difficult.  I know it isn't the pretties quilt in the world but I will be very happy to present it to my friend for her baby.  For those of you who are intimidated by sewing, give it a shot!  If I can do it anyone can.

This post is linked up with the Homestead Barn Hop and Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways.

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Quilts are fun to make and baby quilts are quick so that makes them extra fun. I too am trying to make more and buy less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi- really nice. I've been learning to quilt too-but I've been piecing, never doing the quilting part on anything larger than a mug rug or table runner. I've never tied one either. I'll have to look into that. I've seen some pretty tied ones using old blue jeans. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete