Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Nankins

For the first time ever this year I purchased hatching eggs online.  I really like the strength and vigor of chicks that I hatch.  They grow so much faster and seem to be healthier - I was thinking I would be able to carry that through with the eggs I bought.  I wanted some rare heritage breeds (get it - Red Roof Heritage Farm - one of my goals is to have mainly heritage animals and heirloom plants) and by the time I got around to ordering - the hatcheries didn't have any chicks left.  It is amazing the things you can buy online these days.  So I found a nice lady from somewhere down south with Nankins and bought one dozen hatching eggs.  She shipped them, I got them, placed them in the incubator and 21 days later - 4 chicks.  Yep - 4.  Needless to say these are very expensive little chicks.  This is why I am so frugal everywhere else in my life - so I can own $11 chicks.  I can top that though - I bought some Russian Orloff eggs and only one chick hatched.  And wouldn't you know it the little bugger is a roo!  A $40 roo!  Anyways - I don't think I will be ordering hatching eggs anymore.  The shippers did an excellent job of packaging the eggs but there are just too many variables involved.  Lesson learned.  So next year I will buy some Russian Orloff chicks from Welp Hatchery to go with my $40 roo!

Back to the Nankins.  These little guys are really something.  They are tiny.  I had read that they would only be twenty ounces - so I knew they would be little.  But they are super little, super cute and super friendly.  So now are you thinking - why in the world would she want a chicken that little?  My husband sure was when I told him about these little guys.  It just so happens that Nankins are some of the broodiest bantams that a person can get.  They are also a very rare and old breed.  The ALBC lists them at Critical Status.  You can read all about what the ALBC says about Nankin's here.  So I decided on the bantams because of their broodiness and critical status.  I plan to use them to hatch out eggs - although now that I see their size - I'm not sure how many eggs I will be able to get under one of those little girls.  I also am planning on starting a breeding program to help with the critical status of the breed.  I am new to this and the Nankins are going to be my first try with a true breeding program so any recommendations or tips are greatly appreciated.

Three Nankins and my $40 Russian Orloff Roo in the Back
Just Being Nosy
Pretty Bird
They are so stinkin cute!  How could you not love these little guys?

1 comment:

  1. Hi. Im jennifer.

    If you are starting on a nankin breeding program can I purchase some from you too so I can assist in increasing their numbers?
    Please contact me at:
    cell:206-372-3057
    email: genevieve232@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete