Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Beginning of the Summer Harvest

I picked my first zucchini this week!  And this is very exciting for me because I was able to pick ZERO zucchini last year - it was just too cold.  The first zucchini this year was from a new variety I tried called Eight Ball zucchini.  It kind of reminds me of a little green pumpkin.  But let me tell you - it tasted like zucchini and it was fabulous!  I am amazed every year at how wonderful and vibrant the taste of produce fresh from the garden is (also wonder how I make it the nine months out of the year I am without it).  The zucchini plants look very promising right now - tons of babies!  Which is just wonderful because I am on my last jar of zucchini relish!  (Ok, ok - I was on my last jar of zucchini relish two jars ago and my wonderful mother brought me some more,)  What would I eat on my soup beans if I ran out????  Trust me - I have contemplated this thought many times.... and nothing compares to zucchini relish on soup beans.  Haven't tried it?  I would highly recommend it - it is good on hamburgers and in deviled eggs too!  If all goes well, I will be doing a post very soon on zucchini relish canning - keep your fingers crossed!!

The Beautiful Eight Ball Zucchini
The Zucchini Plants

A Beautiful Translucent Bell Pepper Ready to be Picked

Please note:  I use a passive aggressive weeding technique.  I am passive - the weeds are aggressive!  Darn things!

No comments:

Post a Comment