Monday, August 15, 2011

You Don't Know Love Until....

Last weekend was weekend #2 of cutting wood for us.  Actually,  it was splitting and stacking weekend.  We did much better getting out to work before it got too hot.  On Saturday, we split the first half of the wood which was smaller rounds - not to heavy - no problemo.  On Sunday however, we got into some of the larger rounds.  We were using a wood splitter that a wonderful lady from church let us borrow.  Jerry ran the splitter and put the rounds on to get split.  I was responsible for making sure the rounds were within reach for Jerry, flipping the rounds in the splitter once it had gone through the first time and then throwing the split wood into the trailer.  All started out good, things were going quite well and a few hours in my arms, back and legs started getting tired.  That's nothing - I work through tired all the time.  I kept plugging along.  A couple hours later - my arms were pretty much like wet noodles.  This was not such a big deal with the flipping of the wood in the splitter and the throwing of the wood into the trailer.  Where this became an issue was when I was throwing the wood towards Jerry so he could reach the rounds to put them in the splitter.  Do you see where this is going?  So - I threw a round towards the wood splitter and Jerry - and wow - my spaghetti arms aim seemed to be off a bit.  I almost hit Jerry!  Me:  "Oops!  Sorry!"  Jerry:  Blank stare at me - no words.  At this point I proceeded to have a very serious conversation with spaghetti arm A and B.  Problem solved.  Things went smoothly for about 20 minutes and then I threw a round and it hit Jerry's foot.  Me:  Blank stare, followed by batting eyes...  Jerry:  Ignored me.  I did a shake that probably looked very similar to a wet dog shaking to try to get the arms back into shape.  No such luck.  Over the next hour Jerry had to dodge approximately 6 pieces of flying wood.  And finally we were done.  On the way towards the house in the truck - I casually brought up the subject of the near misses and how sorry I was.  Jerry's response:  "You don't know love until someone throws firewood at you."

And that friends is why I love him so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment